7 X-Factors for That Contribute to Hypertension

There are two types of hypertension; Primary hypertension and Secondary hypertension.

Only 5% of cases of hypertension are a result of a recognized medical cause, such as kidney disease, artery damage, or hormone disorder, this is called secondary hypertension. The remaining 95% of causes of hypertension is called primary hypertension and can be tied to the emotional mind of a person.

There are many reasons why a person’s emotional mind can go on red alert and stay there and here are some of the most common emotional x-factors. These are things that we at Gresham Hypnosis Center are trained to deal with and when we do, there can be a dramatic effect to lower high blood pressure.

  • Feeling lack/loss of control

This is part of the anxiety response and it’s usually about safety.  Losing control can mean something bad will happen and because of this, people stay in a heightened state of alertness.

  • Feeling burdened/responsible

To a certain degree, all of us have some level of responsibility.  This x-factor can be tied to the loss of control because responsibility without control is highly stressful.

  • Unresolved anger/hostility

Anger and hostility cause an ongoing stress response in the body and that’s because the body tries to stay ready to fight this hostility or anger. The most destructive kind of anger is self-directed anger because the emotional mind has the tools to actually cause physical harm.

  • Inner conflict

Internal conflict usually occurs when there are conflicting needs in a person when one part of us wants something and one part wants something else. This conflict activates the stress response which can ultimately lead to high blood pressure.

  • Guilt/self-punishment

Guilt is all about self-judgment.  It’s about right and wrong, should and shouldn’t.  It’s when a person thinks they’ve done something they shouldn’t have done or hasn’t done something they should have done. Feelings of guilt cause an ongoing stress reaction which can have an impact on the sympathetic nervous system and high blood pressure.

  • Impatience/Feelings of time pressure

Impatience and time pressure can cause an ongoing stress response in the body. It’s very much like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, constantly looking at his watch worried that he’s late.  This constant vigilance and worrying about time causes the emotional mind to go on red alert and activate the “Fight or Flight” response.

  • Fear of illness/death

Fear of death is something that affects all of us to some degree.  That’s because death is an unavoidable part of life. However, the fear of death can make the diagnosis of hypertension into a “significant emotional event”.  That’s because the diagnosis focuses the mind on the fact the person is ill and this links the fear of death stress response to the diagnosis.

Gresham Hypnosis Center works directly with your doctor. If you have high blood pressure call us today at 503.319.7142  and learn how we can help you lower high blood pressure naturally.