I once had a client who was studying to become a Mortician. He had aced all the unit tests and all his daily course challenges. But when it came time to take his state boards, he froze…three times.
What causes test anxiety? According to the Anxiety and Depression Association o of America, there are three common causes.
- Fear of failure.While the pressure to perform can act as a motivator, it can also be devastating to individuals who tie their self-worth to the outcome of a test.
- Lack of preparation.Waiting until the last minute or not studying at all can leave individuals feeling anxious and overwhelmed.
- Poor test history.Previous problems or bad experiences with test-taking can lead to a negative mindset and influence performance on future tests.
Can hypnosis help with test anxiety? According to Dr. Gerard Sunnen the anser is yes!
“Hypnosis finds its most common clinical utilization in the treatment of anxiety and its related states, not only because of anxiety’s prevalence, but because hypnosis has such a clear role as a potent anti-anxiety agent.”
The ADAA recommends these tips to manage test anxiety, coupled with hypnosis, test anxiety can be a thing of the past.
- Maintain a positive attitude.Remember that your self-worth should not be dependent on or defined by a test grade. Creating a system of rewards and reasonable expectations for studying can help to produce effective studying habits. There is no benefit to negative thinking.
- Stay focused.Concentrate on the test, not other students during your exams. Try not to talk to other students about the subject material before taking an exam.
- Practice relaxation techniques.If you feel stressed during the exam, take deep, slow breaths and consciously relax your muscles, one at a time. This can invigorate your body and will allow you to better focus on the exam.
Gresham Hypnosis Center offers Hypnosis programs for Stress Reduction. Check us out